Cultural Corridors of South East Europe

Heritage by Type / Historic Town

Bucharest, historic town

Info Sections
Bucharest, historic town

About the site


Corridor: Eastern Trans-Balkan Road
Country: Romania, Bucharest
Type: Historic Town
Epoch: Modern Times
Theme:
World Heritage:
Modern TimesHistoric Town

The historic town of Bucharest is the capital of Romania. The city is impressive with its representative and public architecture of 19th century.
Bucharest Sutu Palace is designed by the Austrian architect Konrad Schwink and constructed in 1831-1832, the palace is the first major building representing the Romanticism of the West in Romania. There is a big canopy over the entrance where getting down from their coaches to enter the reception hall, visitors were not afraid that they could get wet. A monumental, richly decorated staircase leads from the entrance hall to the parlour on the second floor. The decoration was inspired by the Neo-Gothic architecture.
The Monteoru Residence was built in late 19th century. It was designed by the prominent architect Ion Mincu, an admirer of neo-Romanesque architecture. In general, the fashion at that time was to imitate various styles of past periods, giving rise to a lot of movements whose names begin with “neo” - Neo-Gothic, Neoclassical, etc. Very often techniques typical of different styles were used to create one artifact. The phenomenon is called “eclectics”. The Monteoru Residence is an exemple of the eclectic architecture that was very fashionable in Bucharest at the time.
The Filipescu Residence was built in 1860 for one of the most prominent politicians of that time. Designed by an Austrian architect, it provides an excellent example of the spreading of the Western Romanticism in Romania in the middle of the 19th century. There is an oblong parlour in the centre of the two-storey building commanding views to the street and the reception rooms in the garden. It has a remarkable decoration featuring Neo-Gothic motifs.
Bucharest Manuc Inn was constructed in early 19th century on the land of the Old Royal Court - the residence of the former royal family. It provided accommodation for travelling traders and their goods. The building is structured around a rectangular inner courtyard. There were shops and storage facilities on the ground floor. The guest rooms were on the first floor. Visitors entered the rooms from a wooden loggia running along the sides of the building. In the middle of the 19th century, the inn was refurbished and turned into a hotel.
The Lipscania commercial area of Bucharest derived its name from Lipsca, or Leipzig. Initially neighbouring on the Old Royal Court, in late 18th century the area expanded stretching into the royal estate. The names of the streets are indicative of the type of shops and workshops in them (Grocers Street, Hatters Street), the ethnic origin of their keepers (German Street, French Street, etc.). One of the last landmarks of that period is the Merchant’s House in Selari, or Saddlers Street). Its facade makes an impression with the original glazing of the two floors above the masonry of the ground floor.
Expert Network